Thursday, February 12, 2009

When I was a kid I lived on the outskirts of town, near an airfield. There was a constant sound of small planes over the neighbourhood. I think that's where my taste for drones comes from; the rumble of a plane is a kind of ambient drone.

Just like I like to put hiss and crackle in my music because as a teenager I used to listen to the radio and there was a lot of static.

I like certain electrical transformers, which make a nice soft, airy chord. All year round, always in the same place.

Near Laurence's house there was a shed with a ventilation system that produced a sublime sound. One afternoon, too, she and I were in the church not far from her house, and we could hear a lawnmower outside, drowned in the natural reverberation of the church. If I had been alone, I would have sat and listened to it, indefinitely.

*

Peter Principle also recorded four solo albums : Sedimental Journey (1985), Tone Poem (1989), Conjunction (1990) and Idyllatry (2005). About the latter, released by LTM, Crammed Discs comments that "he gave free rein to his taste for experimentation and his love for quasi-psychedelic soundscapes. He once explained that he had discovered the magic of pure sound by listening to the sound of lawn-mowers in his native New York suburb, and then proceeded to reinvent musique concrète (which he didn’t know already existed)."

No comments:

Post a Comment