Sunday, January 9, 2022

I decided this morning, while walking, very early, while it was dark, cold, rainy, in the street of Ruffec: to start writing down my dreams again. I need to know what I have in the back of my head, and to be able to remember this other half of my life – even if it means not retaining the dreams that I know teach me nothing, bring me nothing.

Another decision, not only personal: to take back the name of Maelifell. I don't know why, it just came to me, these days, first by renaming the Instagram account "Waldbruder" to "Maelifell", so that our eventual fans can see our current life and our creativity, even if it means not offering them anything more, musically... and then finally, I said to myself why not, and proposed to Xavier to do it again, and too bad for Felix and Serge and the people who don't like me and will ironize or make judgements about what they will see and hear in the future - in the hypothesis that our future works reach their eyes and ears. Too bad. And so much the worse for those who liked the demo, or The Summerlands, or whatever, and don't like the sequel, because we owe them nothing. Now that the decision is made I have to admit that it seems absolutely obvious, it's like finally going home.

I have a pretty clear idea, if not of the melodies, of the general atmosphere I would like to develop on a future Maelifell album, made of alternations, between types of sounds and instruments, musical genres, and types of recording quality: for example a piece with General MIDI sounds recorded on k7 with a lot of hiss, as in our beginnings, followed by a piece made with the Technics, which would have its own sound, then an entirely acoustic instrumental recorded with a tape recorder, then a more electronic piece, with the Volca for example, etc. .. This would give the whole thing a more lively, organic aspect than an album that gives the impression of having been entirely played, recorded and mixed on the same day, with the same equipment, in the same state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment