Friday, January 20, 2023

I realised something fundamental that I had never understood or at least never made clear to myself: I never play music for myself, for pleasure, just to frolic with my favourite instruments and sounds; everything I do is utilitarian, I only turn on my instruments to compose and record afterwards, and when I do so, it is with a very specific record project, with a content already determined in my head. And my way of playing, my way of writing a song is very cold, "professional", conscious, etc. I don't leave any space for the music to be played. I leave almost no room for chance, for accident, for madness. I don't do that anymore, if I ever did, anyway.

Xavier, on the contrary, and it's by observing him that I realise how I operate, does exactly the opposite: he only plays for himself, for pleasure, without recording himself, unless I literally beg him to do so, and he never asks himself what he's going to do with his compositions.

When we finish an album, he's not particularly interested in the cover, the title, the name of the project, the "concept" that encompasses it all. He quickly forgets what we're writing and when I give him a cassette or USB key containing our finished work after X months, he rediscovers our music entirely and I almost have to persuade him that it's really about us, not just me.

I am obsessed by the notion of the album, by the album as an intellectual object and a fundamentally multimedia work, where the music does not and cannot go without a visual and literary accompaniment, without the storytelling that surrounds the conditions of its production, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment